Excuses Debtors Use For Not Making Payments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excuses Debtors Use For Not Making Payments

Debt collectors have a stressful job....calling up people about their past due accounts and asking for payments. We have all heard every excuse/reason under the sun as to why the payment is late...very few are few valid and most are just an outright lie. What are some of the excuses you have heard?
    Kel

The best one that I got was from someone that knows of my love for animals so they went into a whole story about how their dog had to have emergency surgery to save his life and it was unexpected and they would get me the money as soon as they could because they are just waiting for a couple of those lenders to deposit money into thier account.....he had forgot that he told me when he first became my client that he didnt have any animals! oops

Comment

Oops is right Michael!!! I never had anyone use the emergency surgery for their dog excuse...that's a new one for me. I think one if my all time favorites has to be from a former co-worker of mine. At the time I could only hear her side of the call: "part of his foot fell off, honey, sunlamp, how long do you have to do that and what doctor did you go to?". We all heard the rest of the story after she finished the call: the man was slightly inebriated and was slurring his words. He had to drive his Dad from NC down to FL for a tent revival who was featuring some kind of a healer thus spening his payment for gas/lodging. It seems his Dad had choppedd part of his foot with an axe by accident and this healer could help it regenerate!!! How you say? You slather the foot in honey and stick it under a headlamp for 30 minutes several times a day!!! He made good on his promise to pay the following month. Every time my co-worker had to call him for a payment she'd ask about his Dad's foot...his reply was "it's growing back a little bit with each treatment!!!
      Kel

Comment

One of the funniest one I have had was a repo for a BHPH lot the debtor said I never got a payment book. I looked at them and explained to them what the BHPH lots tell them upon signing the contract YOU DO NOT GET A PAYMENT BOOK you are to come in every thirty days to make the payment.

Here is another one I totaled it so I should no longer have to pay because I can not drive it? Did you have insurance at the time? NO

MY family member died 3 months ago.

I had to move.

It is christmas time.

Comment

Debtor asked how I found him?

I asked, We're you hiding?

He goes heres the Fxxxxxxg keys now get.

Wish they all were that easy.

Comment

I believe "How did you find me" is my most popular FIRST response.
            "Add Value or Add NOTHING!!!"

http://www.facebook.com/RecoverySolutionsNC

Comment

The key is NEVER TELL
              "Add Value or Add NOTHING!!!"

http://www.facebook.com/RecoverySolutionsNC

Comment

Excuses are like AS_ _ _LES .....EVERYONE HAS ONE lol... Im to buzy straping the car down

Comment

I had one debtor that saw me backing up to their van I got out to hook it up they told me take that piece of s*** out of here.
                  I told them if your going to make it that easy I'll just leave the D*** thing.
                  I was walking back to my truck without hooking up they came and begged me to take it.
                  Needless to say I still took it I explained to them WOW that never happens to me were someone wants me to take their vehicle.

Comment

Originally posted by REPOMIKE2004 View Post
                    I had one debtor that saw me backing up to their van I got out to hook it up they told me take that piece of s*** out of here.
                    I told them if your going to make it that easy I'll just leave the D*** thing.
                    I was walking back to my truck without hooking up they came and begged me to take it.
                    Needless to say I still took it I explained to them WOW that never happens to me were someone wants me to take their vehicle.
                    That is funny

Comment

Newest I heard is " My boyfriend cheated on me so he should have to pay the car off cause he got it for me"

Comment

This doesn't fall under excuses, but it is by far my favorite collections story. This guys only excuse was "you shouldn't have given me a credit card."

Back in 2000 I worked at a collection agency collecting on Sears cards. I had one debtor who lived up in the hills in Tennessee who would just go ape **** every time we called him. He would go so crazy and get so angry every time we called that a friend of mine and I would start taking turns calling him just to see what he would say next.

One day we called him and he just screamed at the top of his lungs into the phone for about 15 seconds. After he finished he said "boy, I swear if you call her 1 more time I'm going to hit the phone with the lawnmower." We decided to find out if he was bluffing. After a string of obscenities a mile long we heard him kick the door open and there was a "thump" sound. (I'm assuming this was the phone landing in the lawn.) In the back ground I heard him starting the lawnmower. The sound got louder until there was a loud POP and the line went dead. His phone was disconnected after that.

Amazingly this was not the end of this story. About 2 months later his wife calls in and pays the account in full because they were refinancing their home. Right after my buddy takes the check by phone she says, "hey wait, aren't you the boys that made my husband so angry that he hit the phone with the lawnmower?"

Comment

I had a debtor

I had a woman debtor that had moved just ahead of me every time i got an address.

When I finally caught up to her , I found the vehicle was parked in a possition deliberatlly to prevent me from hooking it.

I needed the key so I approached the house and knocked on the door.

A little girl about seven years old comes to the door.

I say "Hi is your Mom here"

"Yes" she is" says the kid."

"Would you ask her to come to the door?"

She disapears into the back of the house and when she comes back she says, "Momma is in the tub and told me not to bother her".

"OK" I said and I reached into my pocket and pulled out three nickles.
                          I held out the three nickles and asked the little girl, (Do you know where Momma keeps her keys?"

"Yes " she says.

I say, ( I'll give you fifteen cents for them !"

She takes off again and returns with Momma's keys.

I take off the car keys and ask her to return the rest of them to where she found them.

She took the nickles and I took the vehicle.

The little girl came out and watched me hook it up and just before I pulled off with the vehicle I asked her if she would do one more thing for me.

"What" she says.

"Go tell Momma that the REPO man was here"

"OK" she says and off she went !

Comment

This is the most ridiculous customer I've ever had.

Customer asks for an 8 passenger vehicle. I find a decent Suburban, put a new A/C compressor in it, and clean it up for him. He loves it. Gives me $1,000 down on a $6,500 loan.

Calls me a week later complaining that the Suburban won't start. I told him to jump start it, bring it in, and we'll look at it. He never brought it.

Another week goes by, he's even more upset now. The car still won't start without a jump, he says it needs a new starter and alternator. And now the A/C compressor (the brand new one) is broke. So again I tell him to bring it in the morning - well he can't because his kids have a baseball game. Okay so bring it in when you can, well he can't because his kids have too much going on.

Okay so mechanic will do a house call. We arrange a time. Mechanic shows up, nobodies home. He calls 2 hours later bitching again about the state of his car. He was at the grocery store because he's so busy...

I tell him to piss off, pay me, and stop calling every other day - at this point I've done more than enough to help him out. He then claims I should make ALL repairs on his vehicle for at least a year since he bought it on payments. And when it needs an oil change and any repairs I should give him a car to drive while it's getting worked on.

Long story short he called my house at 11pm one night, drunk, complaining about his car. I called the cops. They threatened to process him for harassment if he keeps it up, and they suggested that he make his payments because nobody is going to sell him a car and pay for his oil changes, unless of course it's a brand new $30,000 vehicle.

Comment

my tag took several weeks to get but its what I hear at least daily-- NOUAINT.

Comment

Working...
                              X