Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guns and ammo in car - what's your policy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Be Smart, just save yourself the headache and turn them in to the PD.

Why would you keep them in inventory anyway? More likely to have a debtor show to pay for the property?

Comment

Police departments may not want to be bothered with guns found in repossesses cars unless they were involved in a crime ie the serial number was obliterated off the weapon.
      List your auto repossession business in our directory

Click here

Comment

Personal Property

Originally posted by Michael the insurance guy View Post
        Be Smart, just save yourself the headache and turn them in to the PD.

Why would you keep them in inventory anyway? More likely to have a debtor show to pay for the property?
        Michael, I never thought I had the right to decide what kind of personal property the debtor was allowed to have.

As long as I am not becoming an accessory to a crime, they got all their personal property back, including guns and ammo.

If it was a handgun, they had to be 21 or have an adult pick it up.

I did run any firearm for stolen on nics. Anyone can do this. If I had and suspicion that the debtor was a felon, I checked before turning over a hand gun to them.

If the firearm was defaced, (serial number removed or altered), I turned the weapon over to the ATF.

With those exceptions , I had no right to withold or transfer custody of a firearm to anyone other than it's legal owner.

Comment

So then ultimately the police may be notified but nothing comes of it other than you making sure ownership was as it was supposed to be and everything was on the up and up?

Makes sense on the type of property CWM a i agree that if it were my weapon in the vehicle I would not want it transfered to any third party police or not. Last time the police took my weapon for "safe keeping" (long story) they lost it for 4 days in storage after I went to pick it up.

Comment

Safe Keeping ?

Originally posted by Michael the insurance guy View Post
            So then ultimately the police may be notified but nothing comes of it other than you making sure ownership was as it was supposed to be and everything was on the up and up?

Makes sense on the type of property CWM a i agree that if it were my weapon in the vehicle I would not want it transfered to any third party police or not. Last time the police took my weapon for "safe keeping" (long story) they lost it for 4 days in storage after I went to pick it up.
            Took it for safe keeping ?
            How drunk were you Mike ?

Comment

found Gun in repo vehicle

i have a question i found a gun in a vehicle that was ready for auction the time limitation for the customer to pick-up the gun expired so i called the local sheriffs office and ask to run the serial number the advised me that the need to have a deputy come and fiscally have control of the gun before they can run it and it was illegal for them to tell me if the gun was reported stolen or was wanted over phone i advised them the last time i made contact with this department they pick-up a weapon the customer attempted to recovery her gun they said they don't have it and it was never found. i don't want this to happen again and after the time limit expired for recovery by the customer. the property is owned by our company i am looking for advised on this matter

Comment

I have had several firearms left with personal property that was never claimed by the debtor. I usually give extra time for the debtor to claim it and then treat it like any other personal property.

I would take the firearms to a local dealer who would run the serial numbers and then make me an offer for the ones I had no interest in.

Most recent nice gun left was a decent Ruger Security Six .357 Magnum.

Comment

Working...
                X