Cordless tow lights are the legal or not? lol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cordless tow lights are the legal or not? lol

I was issued a warning by D.O.T for cordless tow lights. Has anyone else had this problem? I never really dug into the code for it but the woman gave me a warning per federal code 393.17 and 393.23.she stated they were illegal in all states.

Originally posted by Zone34 View Post
    I was issued a warning by D.O.T for cordless tow lights. Has anyone else had this problem? I never really dug into the code for it but the woman gave me a warning per federal code 393.17 and 393.23.she stated they were illegal in all states.
    What type do you have, the BAR or the separate ones. I believe the bar is no longer legal and you need to have two separate ones. One for each side.

Comment

393.17 Lamps and reflectors—combinations in driveaway-towaway operation.
      A combination of motor vehicles engaged in driveaway-towaway operation must be equipped with operative lamps and reflectors conforming to the rules in this section.
      (a) The towing vehicle must be equipped as follows:
      (1) On the front, there must be at least two headlamps, an equal number at each side, two turn signals, one at each side, and two clearance lamps, one at each side.
      (2) On each side, there must be at least one side-marker lamp, located near the front of the vehicle.
      (3) On the rear, there must be at least two tail lamps, one at each side, and two stop lamps, one at each side.
      (b) Except as provided in paragraph (c) of this section, the rearmost towed vehicle of the combination (including the towed vehicles of a tow-bar combination, the towed vehicle of a single saddle-mount combination, and the rearmost towed vehicle of a double or triple saddle-mount combination) or, in the case of a vehicle full-mounted on a saddle-mount vehicle, either the full-mounted vehicle or the rearmost saddle-mounted vehicle must be equipped as follows:
      (1) On each side, there must be at least one side-marker lamp, located near the rear of the vehicle.
      (2) On the rear, there must be at least two tail lamps, two stop lamps, two turn signals, two clearance lamps, and two reflectors, one of each type at each side. In addition, if any vehicle in the combination is 80 inches or more in overall width, there must be three identification lamps on the rear.
      (c) If the towed vehicle in a combination is a mobile structure trailer, it must be equipped in accordance with the following lighting devices. For the purposes of this part, mobile structure trailer means a trailer that has a roof and walls, is at least 10 feet wide, and can be used off road for dwelling or commercial purposes.
      (1) When the vehicle is operated in accordance with the terms of a special permit prohibiting operation during the times when lighted lamps are required under §392.30, it must have on the rear—
      (i) Two stop lamps, one on each side of the vertical centerline, at the same height, and as far apart as practicable;
      (ii) Two tail lamps, one on each side of the vertical centerline, at the same height, and as far apart as practicable;
      (iii) Two red reflex reflectors, one on each side of the vertical centerline, at the same height, and as far apart as practicable; and
      (iv) Two turn signal lamps, one on each side of the vertical centerline, at the same height, and as far apart as practicable.
      (2) At all other times, the vehicle must be equipped as specified in paragraph (b) of this section.
      (d) An intermediate towed vehicle in a combination consisting of more than two vehicles (including the first saddle-mounted vehicle of a double saddle-mount combination and the first and second saddle-mount vehicles of a triple saddle-mount combination) must have one side-marker lamp on each side, located near the rear of the vehicle.

View or download PDF

View or download PDF

Comment

393.23 Power supply for lamps.
        All required lamps must be powered by the electrical system of the motor vehicle with the exception of battery powered lamps used on projecting loads.

Comment

Both from http://www.ecfr.gov

Comment

hummm.

So if I make an extra long charging cord for the lights run it from the power outlet (cigarette lighter) and keep it plugged into my cordless lights then I should be OK per 393.23 lol. Doesn't say it has to be hardwired just has to run off the power of the towing vehicle. Wonder how mad this would make her haha!!

Comment

Originally posted by AssetRecovery View Post
              What type do you have, the BAR or the separate ones. I believe the bar is no longer legal and you need to have two separate ones. One for each side.
              Bar style but per the code you can't run any light that's not ran off the POWER of the truck. I was just wondering if anyone else has been stopped for the same thing. The D.O.T office told me I could have been the first one and they are just making an example out of me lol. He was a real smart ***.

Comment

I wouldn't worry about it. Just someone with a bug up their ***.

All our trucks have slings in the bed and when we use them the tailgate drops about 175 degrees and covers the license tag. Had an officer write us a ticket for that. We moved the license plate from the manufacturers' spot to the back window, lit and everything. Two weeks later, got a ticket for that. Called the local PD, they couldn't tell me to put it (insert joke here) and not get a ticket.

If you do get a ticket for it, take it and the copy of law to the county/city attorney and ask him to explain what part of that makes them illegal and what would be lawful. Willing to bet it will be dismissed.

Comment

Working...
                X