Auto Repossession Industry Lingo

Collapse
X
Collapse
  •  

• Auto Repossession Industry Lingo

02autorepossessionindustrylingo.png
    Words Every Repossessor Should Know

There are a ton of terms you are going to hear in the auto repossession industry. Some you will hear every day, some you will only hear once, but it is important that you know what they mean so you do not look unprofessional. I am going to list some auto repossession terms and their definitions as well as some abbreviations and their meanings.

Adjuster - this is an old school term that means repossessor.

Charge off - a declaration by a creditor that a debt is unlikely to be collected. This usually is on accounts over six months in arrears.

Collateral - Assets pledged by a borrower to secure a loan or other credit, and subject to seizure in the event of default.

Collections Manager - Oversees the activities of employees engaged in issuing repossessing orders to adjusters and generally is the individual who decides which repossession companies are on the lender's vendor list.

Collector - the employee of a lender that assigns, updates and oversees accounts that in the repossession stage of collections.

Condition Report - a detailed report on the condition of a vehicle's exterior and interior.

Debtor - the person that is responsible for the loan contract because they put their signature on it. A debtor may also be called a buyer or a maker. A second signer on a loan cane be refereed to as a co-debtor, co-maker and a co-buyer.

Door knock - a door knock is when the repossessor makes contact with a debtor by knocking on the door to find out where the collateral is located.

Field visit - this is when an adjuster goes to a debtor's home, completes a vehicle condition report and usually takes some digital photographs for the lender.

Gag Call - a method of skiptracing done by phone that involves tricking information out of a person who otherwise would not give it.

Light skip - this is where a skip tracer or collections rep does a simply verification of the information a lender has on a debtor. This is usually done via the internet, by phone, pulling a credit report, and using a commercial data service to verify debtor information.

Liquidation - sale of collateral.

Paper - a repo order. There is bad paper or junk paper, which means the order does not list any accurate information. Good paper is when the repo order contains accurate information on the debtor and the location of the collateral. Recycled paper is an auto repossession order than has been sent to one repossession company and they could not find it. It has then been sent to another repo agency and another and another all with negative results.

Phone break - the act of identifying the owner of a phone number and the address the phone services is registered to.

Qualifying a vehicle - often times a transporter will use this phrase when trying to confirm if a vehicle is ready for transport.

Redemption - this when a debtor has paid his loan current and will get his vehicle back.

Replevin - a court action to recover possession of collateral.

Skip - a person who has skipped out on their loan.

Skip tracer - is someone who performs the task of locating a person's whereabouts.

Straw purchase - when a borrower finances a vehicle for a third party, who usually has a bad credit rating. Lenders hate this practice and normally call the loan immediately.

Trap line - a telephone service that "traps" the originating phone number of an incoming call, regardless if caller I.D. is utilized. If a skiptracer knows someone who knows a skip, they will get a message passed to the skip, hoping he calls the trapline.

Auto Repossession Industry Shorthand
    Here are some auto repossession abbreviations you are bound to come across in your repoman career. You don't want to embarrass yourself by needing to call a lender to ask what any of these mean.

Addy - address.

DK - door knock.

DNE - does not exist.

GAR - garage.

Invol - involuntary repossession.

KaD or KAD - Knock on the debtor's door and demand the collateral.

LM - left message.

NLE - No longer employed.

POE - place of employment.

Repo - repossession.

ROC - return of collateral.

TT - talk to.

TTN = talk to neighbor.

TX - phone number

UNV - unit not visible.

VNV - vehicle not visible.

VM - voice mail.

Vol - voluntary repossession.

Feel free to add to the list on our forum here
      Posting comments is disabled.

Latest Articles

Collapse

• Repo Agents Hate To Door Knock
      by BRADMIN

The Repo Man Is At the Door

Nobody wants to door knock, they just want to steal the car. Repo agents always want more time to do a drive by and hope that the vehicle will eventual turn up. They do not want to scare the debtor into running or hiding the vehicle by tipping him off that he is up for repossession.

There are several problems with that way of thinking. The first is that the vehicle is not showing anyhow and the second is that the debtor probably already knows...
      12-28-2018, 07:23 PM
    • Flacars con 2010
      by BRADMIN
      Education
      This was my first time to attend a FLACARS convention and I have to say I was impressed! Everything was first class from the food, to the resort, to the seminars. There were seminars on proposed Florida legislative changes, fleet safety operations and the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. LPR technology was presented by two vendors and there was also a collateral remarketing seminar. The highlight of the conference was an awesome skip tracing seminar, which was taught by Michele...
      12-28-2018, 06:28 PM
    • Repossessions and Collateral Damage
      by BRADMIN

Accidents Happen

Repo agents are often dealing with volatile situations that put an enormous amount of stress on them. There are times when they are snatching a car from a tight space. Many times agents are driving at night and are sharing the road with sleepy drivers, drunk drivers and have their sight hindered by the darkness. If you are going to be in the repossessing business, then you must come to terms with the fact that accidents are going to happen. Collateral is going to get...
      12-28-2018, 06:25 PM
    • Handling Personal Property
      by BRADMIN
      Personal Property
      Repossession companies have to be careful with personal property that is found in the cars they pick up. If property is mishandled, damaged or lost, it could cost your company money. You need to make sure that you follow your state laws as well as the lender’s contractual agreement with you when it comes to personal property. You need to do a detailed inventory of all personal property found in the vehicle. Place all of the personal effects found in a cardboard box and label...
      12-28-2018, 06:23 PM
    • Give Back to the Community
      by BRADMIN

Repossession Companies Can Donate To Many Worthy Causes

I do no think that I can neglect this area in the writing of articles on how to build a successful repossession company. I truly believe the statement “what goes around comes around”. If you are a dirty player and always out to hurt people, you will get it paid back someday. Those paybacks can really hurt. Being a business owner is a big responsibility in more ways that one. Sure it is difficult to manage employees, keep your trucks...
      12-28-2018, 06:20 PM
    • Lenders and Their Recycled Repossession Orders
      by BRADMIN
      "Old Paper"
      Lenders have a tendency to pass old orders around to different auto repossession companies. Every veteran agent has been through it when they talk to a debtor and they hear “I told the other guy I would pay” or “Are you with – insert your competitor’s name here”. Immediately you know you have a repossession order in your hand that someone else has worked.

I often wonder if the lenders do this to see if agents are working accounts or if they do not trust us....
      12-28-2018, 06:16 PM
    Working...
    X