Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Standoff between Vietnam veteran, repo man ends peacefully

http://www.10news.com/news/standoff-...fully-10222014

SAN DIEGO - The Honda Ridgeline was ready for towing with wheels up on the bar, but the owner was inside the truck and refused to exit.
    San Diego police were called to the address in Valencia Park. They talked to Dan Riley, who is visiting from Arizona.
    "They said if I didn't get out, the owner of the company would have a citizen’s arrest done to me," said Riley.
    "So you're expecting them to come and then what?" asked 10News reporter Steve Fiorina.
    "Eventually, I guess I'll go to jail," Riley said.
    He wasn't. Riley is a disabled Vietnam War veteran. He is also is behind on a $10,000 loan. The truck is on a repo list.
    The tow company cruising the neighborhood got a hit on the license plate with its side-mounted cameras and tried to take possession. After several hours, the standoff ended. The police left and the tow truck was unhooked.
    Tim Short owns Short Recovery Service.
    "We contacted the finance company," said Short. "It was their determination to leave the car and bill them. They'll deal with him on a civil matter."
    Riley was is not sure how he would get out of his financial hole and keep the truck.
    "I don't know, I really don't," he said. "Maybe just let them have it back."
    Not if a 10News viewer can help it. Asking not to be identified, she is trying to set up a bank account to help make some payments.
    "I'm simply amazed," Riley told 10News. "Makes you feel so good inside."

Neighbors come to veteran’s aid during repossession of truck

http://fox5sandiego.com/2014/10/22/n...ession-of-car/

SAN DIEGO – Neighbors came to the defense of a Vietnam veteran whose pickup truck was about to get repossessed in Valencia Park Wednesday.

Daniel Riley woke up in his Honda Ridgeline Wednesday morning and realized it was in the process of being towed by a repossession team.

“I didn’t know anything about [the repossession],” Riley said. “Next thing, I’m up in the air. So I just refused to get out because they can’t tow with me in it.”

One neighbor, also a U.S. military veteran, was quick to jump in and help.

“I told [the repo men], ‘I’m going to disconnect your equipment if you don’t let him down,'” Michael Pruitt said. “Not in my neighborhood. He is a military veteran and they’re not going to hurt him.”

Riley said he was visiting San Diego from Arizona and that he was well aware of his late payments, but has been sleeping in his truck and cannot afford to lose it.

San Diego police were called in after Riley refused to get out of the pickup. However, to the disappointment of the repo men, officers left the scene without the veteran.

“[Officers said they weren't] going to forcefully remove the customer from the vehicle because he was elderly and he claimed to be a disabled veteran,” said Tim Short, owner of Short Recovery Service. “So the police went ahead and went against the law and made their own decision. There’s nothing much we can do.”

After police left, a heated exchange between neighbors and Short ensued. Neighbors yelled out that Short and his repo men were “disgusting” for trying to put a disabled veteran out of his only possession.
    Short later said the legal owner of the vehicle decided to drop the case and advised they would deal with Riley in a civil matter.
    Riley was emotional and at a loss for words when he heard the news.

Comment

Wheel boot

Comment

. Boot it and wait him out.

Comment

Working...
        X