Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guns and ammo in car - what's your policy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guns and ammo in car - what's your policy?

I just repossessed a car with 6 loaded guns in the back seat.

What is your policy on guns in property?

When I owned my repossession company we stored guns in a locked locker / safe, We would return them to the debtor when they signed for them MINUS the ammunition. We had a strict policy not to store anything flammable or any liquids.

Gas, oil, bleach, laundry detergent, chemiclas etc were disposed of properly. Liquids stored in property can leak and either damage a debtors property, cause a hazmat spill or a start a fire.
    List your auto repossession business in our directory

Click here

Comment

I always have the local police pick them up. They give me a receipt with a case number and the customer can claim the guns. They will write down any info I have on the customer SS number DOB ect.

Comment

Gun's and Ammo

When I found guns and Ammo in a debtors car, I invatoried them and called in the serial numbers to the local Sheriff to check for stolen on NCIC.

I always unloaded the weapons and rendered them temporarly inoperable with plastic pull ties.

I returned them to the debtor with the understanding that they not attempt to reload them on my property.

In the case of a Handgun , I required an adult to recover them, (21 years of age, with no felonys).

I returned the ammo also, (it is their property and I can't just keep it.

If I had an agitated debtor who expressed hostitality either during or after the repossession, I required them to meet me at the Sheriff's department to reclaim any personal property. It didn't have to be guns.

Comment

I never had a problem with a lender getting upset that I disposed of the ammo they had in their clip.

I wish I would have thought of using plastic pull ties like that. Ran it through the barrel did ya'?

Click here

Comment

Yep

Originally posted by ADMIN View Post
            I never had a problem with a lender getting upset that I disposed of the ammo they had in their clip.

I wish I would have thought of using plastic pull ties like that. Ran it through the barrel did ya'?
            Yes that is exactly what I did !

I never gave a hand gun back to a person under 21 years of age or returned a gun listed as stolen.

The police are happy to check the NCIC list for stolen weapons if you give them the model and seral number.

They will also tell you if the debtor is a convicted felon. In either of those cases a debtor had to claim his weapon from the police. Always get a recipt from the police for any thing you turn over to them, even dope.

If they were under the legal age to possess a handgun, they had to bring someone over 21 to pick it up.

Comment

i always turn them into the police and get property recipt number if i have control of someone else's weapon and it later turns out to be used in a crime or some other issue i do not want my name in it in any way shape or form

Comment

i file the serial numbers off and keep them close in case I need a throw down-- lol

Comment

Originally posted by Ocorrect1 View Post
                  i file the serial numbers off and keep them close in case I need a throw down-- lol
                  One time, I found a revolver in a brown paper bag in a debtor's car. The serial number was filed off. I turned it into the internal affairs division of the PD since it was a police officer's car that we had repossessed. He was being investigate for all sorts of things included making death threats to an ATF agent that was also investigating him. He was terminated for several things a year or so later. We had repossessed 5 or 6 cars from over several years.

Click here

Comment

Originally posted by Ocorrect1 View Post

It is a federal felony to file or grind off a serial number from a firearm. The FBI will just use acid to raise the number again.
                    Now that you have publicly indicated that you intend to use a "throwdown", you will likely be charged with it whether you do or not.
                    You have been watching too many movies.

Comment

Originally posted by CWM Asset Recovery View Post
                      It is a federal felony to file or grind off a serial number from a firearm. The FBI will just use acid to raise the number again.
                      Now that you have publicly indicated that you intend to use a "throwdown", you will likely be charged with it whether you do or not.
                      You have been watching too many movies.

Comment

I am a retired Inspector General it was a joke lighten up just a tad

Comment

[QUOTE=Ocorrect1;20964]I am a retired Inspector General it was a joke lighten up just a tad[/QUOTE

Hmmm.......

Comment

i secure the weapon to be sure its unloaded i put a ziptie through the barrel and contact the pd to take custody of it ammo goes with the pd too not sure what they do with it

Comment

depends on the situation, if I had problems all fire arms go to PD, if I know they have a criminal record all fire arms go to pd, if it is loaded I unload it and hand it back last with the ammo in a box that is duct tape shut. Never had an issue, but always proceed with caution

Comment

Working...
                              X