Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• license

How do I go about getting state license? A link would help Thanks

If your state has a licensing agency you go thru them, if they don't have any regulations the you don't need one. I know a few companies around the country that get a private investigator's license juts to show they have some sort of state "stamp of approval" on them.

Comment

I dont know if we do here in texas,thanks for the reply

Comment

You need to go here if you are in Texas.

http://www.tdlr.state.tx.us/towing/t...#certification

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Old Gringo View Post
          You need to go here if you are in Texas.

http://www.tdlr.state.tx.us/towing/t...#certification

Tom
          It seems it is for towing or now? Which category one does a repo agent driving a wrecker fit into?

It would not be incident management as it seems this would be for crashes and police tows?

Private property Tow Operator ? Maybe as we take cars off of private property!!

The Consent Tow Operator License? There rarely ain't any consent when I take someones car.

Seems like the government has managed to confuse thing again!

"All tow truck operators must be licensed by September 1, 2008. There are three different types of tow operator licenses: the Incident Management Tow Operator License, the Private Property Tow Operator License, and The Consent Tow Operator License."

Comment

Just wanted to say thanks for the replys.

Comment

UC can you let us know what you find out. The Texas law seems a bit off and has no category for auto repossession companies.

Comment

I'll let you know when I get more info thanks for all the replies.

Comment

Repossessions are CONSENT tows. Does not make sense, but that is the law. If you only do repos, you do not have to take the certification test. Repo drivers DO need to apply for the new TDLR Tow Operator License, which includes background and drug-testing.

And even though most of these items are not need for repossession work, you are now required to carry all of the following on your truck at all times:

(1) At least one 10 pound or two 5 pound multiple purpose fire extinguisher, in good working condition
                  (2) Magnetic tow lights, unless wireless, with appropriate cable and cushions to protect a vehicle’s finish
                  (3) Tow dollies as appropriate
                  (4) Straps and tie downs as specified by the tow truck manufacturer
                  (5) Gloves
                  (6) Wheel chocks
                  (7) Five gallon trash receptacle
                  (8) Broom and shovel
                  (9) Thirty-six inch crow bar, and
                  (10) Triangle reflectors, flares, cones, safety lights or other appropriate safety signals.

You must also wear a a reflective vest or reflective jacket that meets the ANSI/ISEA 207-2006 requirements while hooking or strapping down.

If you are going to perform a repossession in Texas, you had better be licensed and insured. They are cracking down hard and if you are caught, it's a $9000 fine the first time.

Tom

Comment

Repossessions are CONSENT tows. Does not make sense, but that is the law.
                    No sense at all.

(3) Tow dollies as appropriate
                    Dragging a car is more fun.

(7) Five gallon trash receptacle
                    Could be useful for debtors debtors to throw all that crap they keep in their car that they call valuable personal property!!

(8) Broom and shovel
                    Where the heck do you keep that?

(9) Thirty-six inch crow bar
                    More durable than a slim jim for opening locked doors! LOL

You must also wear a a reflective vest or reflective jacket that meets the ANSI/ISEA 207-2006 requirements while hooking or strapping down.
                    The better for them to see me!!!

They are cracking down hard and if you are caught, it's a $9000 fine the first time.[/QUOTE]

Ouch, they are serious. That is hefty fine. I would have thought $500.

They should add a box of kleenex to the list to you can comfort crying debtors too.

Comment

Silly stuff, I agree.

This is what happens when you get government involved in business:

A broom, a shovel and a bucket REQUIRED on a repo truck!

Auto Agent's suggestion for tissues makes more sense.

Comment

Another fine example of why we must fight against government regulation. They will destroy this industry if we let them. If we never agree with our competitors on another thing, let us all come together to stop the out of control idiots who seek to place asinine regulations on us. BTW agents in Texas should wear a target with the vest just to make sure they get a good shot

Comment

I agree Phoenix.

Your state did pass a law this year however that I thought was worthwhile and that was requiring all trucks to be duallies.

Tom

Comment

Yeah, we have some regs here about trucks and such. It's a pain in the ***. I've been watching Texas as our home office is there, and AZ usually will follow where ever Texas or California lead. That's one reason I'm so vocal about regulation. Arizona is dancing around the issue and I fear it won't be long before the fight is at my door. Texas has handed down several $9000.00 fines already. Are outlaw companies still operating in Texas? I would guess they are. I don't have an extra $9000.00 laying around for a driver who did not want to wear a bright, reflective vest while repo'ing in a rough area. I know ALSCO was very activly fighing against the rediculous laws that passed in Texas. I assume other organizations did as well. Too bad the efffort was unsucessful.I hope it does not serve as a model for other states, but I fear regulation is the wave of the future. How many of us can survive in the face of increased annual fees and outragous fines? Anyway I'll get off the soapbox for a while. Thanks for the vent.

Comment

Working...
                            X