Repo Scenario 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RepoMan207 View Post
    If it's on my truck, and I'm not on their property.....and they happen to come out and see me driving by; it's not breach of peace. If I'm at an intersection just after hooking a car, and the guy is on his way back from where ever, and he gets out of his other vehicle to stand in front of my truck while I'm at a stop light, and demands me to put it down; it's not breach of peace. If I just got done loading a car, and I'm behind the wheel of my truck, and someone jumps in front of my truck demanding that I put it down; again, it's not breach of peace, despite the fact that I'm on his property. If I'm in the middle of trying to load a guys car, and he demands me to stop and leave, and I continue...that is breach of peace. I can tell you with certainty that the cops in my area would ask one question only..."were you hooked to the vehicle in anyway before you were confronted", this is all that they, and the Bureau of Consumer Credit Protection care about. Morally and ethically, I could see where this would be construed differently from state to state.
    I don't know what state you are in but good luck, I still question the cops being involved and on their property. The rest I have no problem with.

Comment

Originally posted by jclark View Post
      If you are a reasonable distance from the spot of repossession you are ok, as you may be a couple of blocks away
      The problem that reasonable distance is not defined in most states and if
      No joke, there was one city we did work in that the cops tried to say if the debtor called the police and they could locate you before you got out of city limits, you had to take the car back. When they got the 911 call, the dispatcher would have officers looking for you like you were an armed and dangerous bank robber.

I remember I had an Eagle Talon to repossess that was a block or two inside the city limits. It was an AWD so I had a flatbed wait in the next city and towed the car right to him. A few second later, the police showed up and wanted me to return the car, but I was 10 feet outside the city limits.

Eventually I got that changed.
      List your auto repossession business in our directory

Click here

Comment

I don't know what state you are in but good luck, I still question the cops being involved and on their property. The rest I have no problem with.
        The only times I've dealt with cops is when I get blocked in and the debtor calls them. Otherwise I'm long gone.
        Ryan
        Hodge's Recovery
        Windham, ME

sigpic

Comment

I only had an officer attempt to make me drop a vehicle one time.

I had a valid repo order and got it off the property with no contact.

The debtor aparentlly watched me from inside the house and called the police but did not contact me or come out side until the police arrived.

I had it hooked in the street.

The officer told me he would arrest me if I did not drop the vehicle.

I told him as long as he was willing to sign a release for the vehicle or provide me with a court order I would drop the vehicle.

I told him he would be assumeing all liability for the vehicle with the lender and their lawyers.

He decided to just follow me out of the city limits.

Comment

Originally posted by CWM Asset Recovery View Post

I told him as long as he was willing to sign a release for the vehicle or provide me with a court order I would drop the vehicle.

I told him he would be assumeing all liability for the vehicle with the lender and their lawyers.

You have the best stories CWM. I bet the police officer about lost it!

Comment

Originally posted by CWM Asset Recovery View Post
              I only had an officer attempt to make me drop a vehicle one time.

I had a valid repo order and got it off the property with no contact.

The debtor aparentlly watched me from inside the house and called the police but did not contact me or come out side until the police arrived.

I had it hooked in the street.

You're just lucky you don't live in Charlotte. Our cops don't want to do a **** thing other than sit in a parking lot and chit chat. And anything that interferes with that is an annoyance to them. They love to say "it's a civil matter, have to go through the courts."
              I had a Jag one time, one of my first repos. I didn't have a break in stick and the wheel doesn't lock on those. I parked a block away, called it in as repo'd and walked back to get keys. Guy says no problem, he will clean out and give me keys. I come back and park in front of his house, on the street. He comes out, gets in it and tells me to drop it. I say no of course. He yells to his wife, "call the cops, this guy just threatened me." cops came, told me to drop it. I refused, they said they would arrest me. I got on the phone with the Sargent and he said I had to drop it. With cops and me there, the guy opens his garage, rearranges some stuff and puts the car in the garage, never to be seen again (had no tags, wasn't driving it anyway).
              I learned a couple valuable lessons. 1) buy a break in stick 2) get the keys FIRST 3)don't trust anyone.
              I did repo his chrysler 300 on 22's about a year later for someone else. I put a tracker on it so I could take it at a very inconvenient time. I snagged it while he was in the DMV.
              I just wish the cops had let me keep the Jag. Oh well, lessons learned.

Comment

So they let the guy drive it a block without plates? I bet you were seeing red.

Comment

no, i was back in front of his house, I came back with it, but not on his property. I can't begin to explain how mad I was.

Comment

You lost on that one repo but won in the lessons department. I am betting you never let it happen again.

Comment

Well its been crazy here lately ive been shot at held at gun point and forced to drop at leave,had one debtor drive off lift with it in the air,and had 2 others almost run over us 1of them actually called cops on us because we attempted to deflate tire and get out of the way and now facing charges with using a small knife to deflate tire by OUR LOCAL HOMETOWN PD,was arrested do to debtor claimed to pd they felt threatend by us which was total bs and said officers with heads up there u know what took me to jail for assalt charges

Comment

Originally posted by RepoMan207 View Post
                        The only times I've dealt with cops is when I get blocked in and the debtor calls them. Otherwise I'm long gone.
                        You haven't been at this business long, have ya?

Comment

Working...
                        X