VIN covered with piece of paper and dealer paper plate in rear window

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VIN covered with piece of paper and dealer paper plate in rear window

I am trying to pick up a car that was never registered and first payment default.

Then VIN is covered with piece of paper and it has a dealer paper plate in rear window so I cant run it.

The debtor is an over the road trucker and I have never had any luck making contact.

I also have a repossession order for his tractor and trailer.

Would you pop the door and uncover the VIN?

Just back up to it and make contact, if no one is home just open it fast and check,'VIN should not be covered. I would record it too if its not the one they could say you stole something or who knows. Do it during the day

Comment

I have the account since October and never caught anyone at the home addy.

It is a hot minute from our office so I am all over it.

I was hoping to catch him on Thanksgiving, but he never turned up.

Electric meter is moving and there are lights on 24 7 and he gets mail there.

I just worry about being charged with B and E.

Comment

Bring a can of air that you use to clean a keyboard with. You can get it pretty much anywhere. Just wedge the door and blast it in with the plastic straw.

Thats 1 good thing about New York the vin is printed on the registration which is a huge sticker on the windshield.

Comment

I never thought of canned air Five. Good idea. I was going to say wedge the door and use a stick to move the piece of paper off the VIN. Then you can safely repossess the car because I am wagering that is your vehicle.
          "America's Best Repo Agent"

Comment

As far as you getting charged with a B&E, you have to have intent to break the law. As long as you have reason to believe it is your target vehicle and you immediatly relock it if it isn't, a cop is going to regard it as a case of mistaken identity and let you go.

It is the proper make model color and year ? It is at the listed location and has the VIN covered, which is against the law !

I thing you have a reasonable cause to believe it is your car until you find out diffrent.

Comment

I secure the unit and see if the door is unlocked(Never is) and then use a wedge and airbag. I forget which cars, but I think Mazda has a VIN label under where the tag is mounted. Dont quote me on that.

Comment

Opening door before your verify is b&e, alot of cars you can see the vin on the sticker in the door, i was looking for a gallant last year, recently bought, had dlr tag, dtr's last name on the tag but not the vin, i opened the door, vin was wrong, later found out it was the mothers car bought from the same dealership, if you can't swee the vin anywhere cut a door key, if it works it's yours

Comment

i agree with yerl get a key cut it opens the door it's yours or use your long reach to gently move the piece of paper once you physically open the door and any part of your body enters the door ur fucked if you get caught

Originally posted by yer2l8 View Post
                  Opening door before your verify is b&e, alot of cars you can see the vin on the sticker in the door, i was looking for a gallant last year, recently bought, had dlr tag, dtr's last name on the tag but not the vin, i opened the door, vin was wrong, later found out it was the mothers car bought from the same dealership, if you can't swee the vin anywhere cut a door key, if it works it's yours

Comment

same issue with a title pawn for me on an ford expedition-- vin is on the frame too you can hook and lift it and crawl under, or call the police and have an officer meet you there- i did that once and he watched as i popped the door on a toyota and it was mine he told me to have a nice day most cops dont like debtors either.

Comment

As a former police officer Id be hard pressed to charge you with B&E. If you were randomly opening car doors just because. My suggestion would be to attempt a door knock contact, then get into it, do not reach inside check the vin. on the door. Id stand back as far as possible to lessen the chance being accused of thief. Odds are you wouldn’t be checking this vehicle unless you had reasonable suspicion!!! In the end its your call and the new question is can you articulate and justify your actions.

Comment

A good CYA would be to obviously have the repo order easily accessible to help prove your case. (unless I'm just being too obvious...)

The canned air thing is great, too. Never would have thought of that.

Comment

You should be able to get the temporary plate number from the dealer. Then if its correct, check the vin on the door.

Comment

Weather or not the plate matches is not important, anyone who has been in this business more than a day knows they switch plates all of the time, they can have identical vehicles at the POR that are not the right unit there are so many variables that its not funny, and its not worth gambling over. Remember it is the vin that is important and it is illegal to obscure the vin which has been previously mentioned. Dont put yourself your career or your client at risk for a stupid 30 second mistake, there are other ways to handle it legally.

Comment

Originally posted by CWM Asset Recovery View Post
                              you have to have intent to break the law
                              Very true, but I do know one repossession agent that worked for a friend's company. He misread a VIN that was close to the one he had a repossession order for and took the wrong car. He got up the road a mile or so, got out to tie off the steering wheel and re - VINed. He realized his mistake and was on his way to take it back when he got pulled over. They arrested him and although it was eventually dismissed, he paid $5000 to a lawyer as well as lost the money he paid for the bond.

Later he admitted to everyone that he had checked the VIN with a Bic lighter and regularly did this because either he forgot his flashlight or his batteries were dead.

He did not seem to think checking a VIN with a cig lighter was a big deal. He also wondered why everyone called him bucket head and an assortment of other colorful names.
                              List your auto repossession business in our directory

Click here

Comment

Working...
                              X