Q and A thread with Patriot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Q and A thread with Patriot

Our mission here at www.repoindustry.com is to educate auto repossession company owners, the repoman on the street, and their office staff from our experience in the auto repossession industry. We also recognize that this forum has some repo industry veterans as members that are full of knowledge and experience that all of us can learn from.

Patriot is one of those members that not only has some years under his belt and a vast knowledge of the auto repo business. As seen on the forum, he is more than happy to lend a helping hand to those that seek advice.

As with CWM's thread, questions will be answered at Patriot's leisure. Members here can ask questions or make comments as well.
    Last edited by BRADMIN; 01-03-2012, 08:21 AM.
    List your auto repossession business in our directory

Click here

Patriot, would you tell us a little bit about your background, how you found yourself in the auto repo realm and how long you have been at this?

Click here

Comment

Sure....

I was a Police Officer for 11 years before an injury ended my career, otherwise I never would have given it up. I served in patrol, K-9, SRT, and Investigations. I absolutely loved that job!!

I also served 14 years in the military both active duty, and as a reservist. My career in the military was also ended due to the same injury since I was a reservist at the time.

I kind of fell into repos. I have a very strong investigations background so a friend called me for help on a repo one day. I helped him out and got hooked. I worked as an agent for a few years brfore I realized I could improve the business model and do it better on my own. So I started up my own company. The first year was rough and I made a lot of mistakes, but I learned from every single one and made the necessary improvements. I am now 14 years in snd just started the third phase of a 4 phase expansion. We have doubled our fleet and agents, and we are opening another branch office this March.

I am very blunt and to the point. I ask about background and experience because it takes a certain type of person to do this job. I may come off as a dick to some, and all I can say is oh well...My heart is actually in the right place and I am trying to stop others from making the same mistakes I have made, so they too have become successful.

Outside of the repo world, I am heavily into competition BBQ, and a die hard Cincinnati Reds, and Cincinnati Bengals fan...Anything else you want to know, just ask.

Comment

Originally posted by Patriot Recovery View Post
        Sure....

I was a Police Officer for 11 years before an injury ended my career, otherwise I never would have given it up. I served in patrol, K-9, SRT, and Investigations. I absolutely loved that job!!

I also served 14 years in the military both active duty, and as a reservist. My career in the military was also ended due to the same injury since I was a reservist at the time.

I kind of fell into repos. I have a very strong investigations background so a friend called me for help on a repo one day. I helped him out and got hooked. I worked as an agent for a few years brfore I realized I could improve the business model and do it better on my own. So I started up my own company. The first year was rough and I made a lot of mistakes, but I learned from every single one and made the necessary improvements. I am now 14 years in snd just started the third phase of a 4 phase expansion. We have doubled our fleet and agents, and we are opening another branch office this March.

I am very blunt and to the point. I ask about background and experience because it takes a certain type of person to do this job. I may come off as a dick to some, and all I can say is oh well...My heart is actually in the right place and I am trying to stop others from making the same mistakes I have made, so they too have become successful.

Outside of the repo world, I am heavily into competition BBQ, and a die hard Cincinnati Reds, and Cincinnati Bengals fan...Anything else you want to know, just ask.
        Better to be taken as a Dick and offer Knowledge that others may not have than to be nice and let people make mistakes that you know you can prevent.
        I applause your truthfulness

Comment

For starters, I'd like to thank you for your military service Here is my question: Considering how difficult it is to obtain information on debtors at times, do you find your police background/connections almost a necessity in the repo business in this day and time? And if you don't have the background yourself, knowing someone who does?
          Kel

Comment

Originally posted by SeaKelly View Post
            For starters, I'd like to thank you for your military service Here is my question: Considering how difficult it is to obtain information on debtors at times, do you find your police background/connections almost a necessity in the repo business in this day and time? And if you don't have the background yourself, knowing someone who does?
            First, you are welcome. It was my pleasure and why I volunteered to serve.

As far as your question goes, no I do not. It could actually get yourself or the Officer helping you in serious trouble.

My investigations background is what did it for me. Granted I got my start in investigations in the police department however you dont have to be a cop to aquire those skills.

We did not always have the databases that we have now. It all starts with good old fashioned leg work, beat those streets, and hit those doors, make phone calls etc....If you know how to talk with people you can usually come away with the info you need, and half the time they dont even realize that they gave it up.

Comment

Originally posted by CCAR.AL View Post
              Better to be taken as a Dick and offer Knowledge that others may not have than to be nice and let people make mistakes that you know you can prevent.
              I applause your truthfulness
              People ask questions all the time expecting answers. I will happily answer their question, however I make no promises on weather or not they will like the answer that they get.

Some people just either dont listen, or they are the type that no matter what you say they will have to find out the hard way on their own.

Comment

About being blunt. I am always told that I am blunt and to the point and that it is always black and white with me and never gray. That trait has gotten me into hot water more than once. How do you clients and those around you respond to that?

Has it hurt or helped you in the auto repossession business?

I ask for a reason and am guessing it has helped mre than hurt by miles.

Is there one thing (or more than one) that you could point to as to your success in this business?

Click here

Comment

Originally posted by ADMIN View Post
                  About being blunt. I am always told that I am blunt and to the point and that it is always black and white with me and never gray. That trait has gotten me into hot water more than once. How do you clients and those around you respond to that?

Has it hurt or helped you in the auto repossession business?

I ask for a reason and am guessing it has helped mre than hurt by miles.

Is there one thing (or more than one) that you could point to as to your success in this business?
                  They actually respect me more for it. They dont always like what I have to say, but they at least know they are getting the truth and not the run around which is important.

There are times I am sure it has hurt, but im not sure. More often than not it helps a whole lot. There is no place for sensitive people in this industry and I dont sugar coat it for anyone, and I dont want anyone to sugar coat things for me in return.

There are a few things that have made me successful. My military and police background has helped out a lot. My education has helped out quite a bit as well. A big factor is dont dwell on the no's....You will get more no's the yes's, but you need to deal with that properly. Try to find out why they gave you a no, then you can formulate a plan to change it and implement a new plan. For every sales call or visit I made 9 out of 10 were usually no's but it was that 1 that said yes that made us grow.

You get that one yes and you bust your *** for them. Make them feel like they are the only client you have even if they are not. Eventually word of mouth (which is still the best form of marketing) will get around. You will start building a solid and effective sales pitch a solid client base with references and the no's will reduce and the yes's increase. Even if it is a no send them a thank you card for the chance to meet with them. It will leave an impression.

Hiring good people and actually paying them what they are worth. It makes your employees happy and inspires loyalty.

Having good quality equipment lowers costs and again makes for a happy employees.

Be reachable 24/7 it is a big factor for your clients. Even if they never call you at 0300 they like to know they are able too if they need too.

Have fair prices for a fair service, make sure those prices are all understood upfront.

Keep excellent records and have a seperate non bias book keeper.

thats just a short list in random order, but they are all things that have helped me become successful.

I can get more detailed and add to this in a bit

Comment

Thanks for the response that confirms what I was thinking. No one wants to be sugar coated and lied to. Being blunt sometimes means telling someone something they may not want to hear, but they need to here it. The no's can get discouraging, but I agree about how you respond to it. A string of no's will eventually bring a yes when it comes to sales. I am a horrible salesman, but I built my auto repossession business and several other ventures swimming through a sea of no's.

Before I continue with another question, I will let you go into more detail.

Click here

Comment

Originally posted by ADMIN View Post
                      Thanks for the response that confirms what I was thinking. No one wants to be sugar coated and lied to. Being blunt sometimes means telling someone something they may not want to hear, but they need to here it. The no's can get discouraging, but I agree about how you respond to it. A string of no's will eventually bring a yes when it comes to sales. I am a horrible salesman, but I built my auto repossession business and several other ventures swimming through a sea of no's.

Before I continue with another question, I will let you go into more detail.
                      Feel free to throw out any more questions if you want, while waiting for me to finish the above post....I will answer them in order.

Comment

They actually respect me more for it. They dont always like what I have to say, but they at least know they are getting the truth and not the run around which is important.

There are times I am sure it has hurt, but im not sure. More often than not it helps a whole lot. There is no place for sensitive people in this industry and I dont sugar coat it for anyone, and I dont want anyone to sugar coat things for me in return.

There are a few things that have made me successful. My military and police background has helped out a lot. My education has helped out quite a bit as well. A big factor is dont dwell on the no's....You will get more no's the yes's, but you need to deal with that properly. Try to find out why they gave you a no, then you can formulate a plan to change it and implement a new plan. For every sales call or visit I made 9 out of 10 were usually no's but it was that 1 that said yes that made us grow.

You get that one yes and you bust your *** for them. Make them feel like they are the only client you have even if they are not. Eventually word of mouth (which is still the best form of marketing) will get around. You will start building a solid and effective sales pitch a solid client base with references and the no's will reduce and the yes's increase. Even if it is a no send them a thank you card for the chance to meet with them. It will leave an impression.

Hiring good people and actually paying them what they are worth. It makes your employees happy and inspires loyalty.

Having good quality equipment lowers costs and again makes for a happy employees.

Be reachable 24/7 it is a big factor for your clients. Even if they never call you at 0300 they like to know they are able too if they need too.

Have fair prices for a fair service, make sure those prices are all understood upfront.

Keep excellent records and have a seperate non bias book keeper.

thats just a short list in random order, but they are all things that have helped me become successful.

I can get more detailed and add to this in a bit
                        Excellent post!

Comment

Sure....

I grew up in West Union, Ohio. Pete Rose was a household name. Welcome to the Jungle. I moved to Atlanta in 94 and towed cars for APD for 12 years. My best man and the best friends I've ever had{as an adult} were all officers.

Insofar as your investigative experience: Would you say that PRIVATE investigators are more interested in the case or the paycheck? I have a friend with Homicide and he really hates to be outgamed. Money isn't as important as the mystery to him.. I believe he could make great private sector money. I would not want to be hiding from the Wilson.

Sorry to clarify Do you take it personal when someone skips or shrug it off? When do YOU call it quits on any given skip?

Comment

[QUOTE=ADMIN;23347]Thanks for the response that confirms what I was thinking. No one wants to be sugar coated and lied to. Being blunt sometimes means telling someone something they may not want to hear, but they need to here it. The no's can get discouraging, but I agree about how you respond to it. A string of no's will eventually bring a yes when it comes to sales. I am a horrible salesman, but I built my auto repossession business and several other ventures swimming through a sea of no's.

Before I continue with another question, I will let you go into more detail.[/QU

Here is the big one in my opinion.
                            from the time you wake up to the time you go to bed tou have to work your *** off. Any thing less than 110%what effort is not acceptable. And above all else you can not be afraid to fail.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregory Terrell View Post
                              I grew up in West Union, Ohio. Pete Rose was a household name. Welcome to the Jungle. I moved to Atlanta in 94 and towed cars for APD for 12 years. My best man and the best friends I've ever had{as an adult} were all officers.

Insofar as your investigative experience: Would you say that PRIVATE investigators are more interested in the case or the paycheck? I have a friend with Homicide and he really hates to be outgamed. Money isn't as important as the mystery to him.. I believe he could make great private sector money. I would not want to be hiding from the Wilson.

Sorry to clarify Do you take it personal when someone skips or shrug it off? When do YOU call it quits on any given skip?
                              Some pi's are, and some are not....it really is hard to say.

As far as taking it personal, no, you can not take it personal it is business. You take rhis business and you will give yourself a heart attack!

Comment

Working...
                              X