Advice from War Vets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice from War Vets

Ok I was not in the military nor will I pretend to understand War. I do however have a childhood friend that I love like a brother that knows these things all to well. He has been home for some time now but continues to struggle with his conscience.

The issues come into play because his struggles are backward from most. His struggles come from missing it, missing the action, missing the hunt, missing what he called the pink mist through his scope. He does not want to feel this way, does not want to fantasize about killing people. Yet he does, he feels broken and alone. He has told me that he has had thoughts of suicide because, while he knows he would never hurt anyone here stateside or go crazy, he can not seem to control the mental desire to hunt people.

So my questions to fellow vets is can I send him somewhere or is there anywere that I can have him call or anything that I can do for him to help. I just tell him that I am sure it is normal and that he spent his whole life hunting from dear, moose, bear then joined the Army and hunted men which no other animal can duplicate. I dont know what to tell him, I dont know where to send him. I just worry because I have known him since we were 5 years old and he is a good man that needs help.

My Brother has the Problem since he returned from Iraq, He said try Playing the military based video games that play online from PS3, and call the councilors at the Veterans Hospital helps to let it out. Said it helps alleviate some of the anxiety

Comment

He can get free counseling from the military and I urge him to do so. Although I hate to see it when doctors pump psyche drugs into people. I wonder if it would help him to throw himself into hunting deer, bear etc again. That might curb his constant desire to hunt something. Also he might talk with a pastor, or better yet a pastor or Christian counselor that is a war veteran who knows his plight personally.
      List your auto repossession business in our directory

Click here

Comment

FYI, I could be wrong. Contact Patriot or some other site member that is a war veteran. They would be able to give better advice than me.

Click here

Comment

VA Sierra Nevada Health Care System
          1000 Locust Street
          Reno, NV 89502
          Phone: 775-786-7200 Or 888-838-6256

PTSD Clinical Team (PCT) Outpatient
          George DaForno (775) 786-7200 X 2815

And

http://www.veteranscrisisline.net/

Your friend is very fortunate to have someone like you that cares and wants to help him.
          Kel

Comment

Many of my brothers who came back from SE Asia needed help and finally the VA has a list of private as well as their own program to help. He needs to be in a program with vets, believe me you cant relate to those who have never been there

Comment

I would never attempt to try to relate to what we talk about, I have no understanding of the sight, smell, well any of it. I have tried to get him to talk to someone a few times and go to some meetings but that is not him, he wont do it. He is not someone who would ever go to councling. I have even tried to get him to do a phone councling session and told him to hide in a dark closet so that it can be totally annomyous and no go. I will call Mac thanks to everyone for the advice.

Comment

Oh and Brad I talked to him yesterday and his dad just tried to get him to go dear hunting and his exact words to me were "there is just no thrill in it for me to shoot a defenseless animal, now wrap a turbin on him and give the dear an AK-47 and im ready to go" yea help is needed beyond what I can give but he is a very shy guy and does not open up to strangers.

Comment

I was not sure if that was a good suggestion or not. I was talking with my best friend that is former military when I was reading your post. I read it to him and that is what he and I came up with for a possible help. We had a long discussion about it as he has two sons that served several combat tours in Iraq / Afghanistan as well as his service back in 1970. So he knows quite a bit experience with PTSD.

Click here

Comment

I know how he feels, I have a great Viet restaurant I go to but sometimes if I'm alone I watch the family that runs it (whom I have become good friends with) and envision them dressed in black like they were in 68. It's something you remember bits and pieces of things for no reason at all at the dumbest times. If you were really in the sh** in a combat zone it takes time to mellow a bit but for some it's so burnt on our minds you can't mellow at all. I feel for the guy and wish him the best of luck, life goes on but it's hard on some vets to do it.

Comment

hey mike i know from having friends and all that are ex military they do have help and all availble so i would try the local va or even a local hospital i will pray your friend gets the help he needs.

Comment

I have heard from several war vets that the VA tries to pump them full of psyche meds and they just ended sitting around in a stupor drooling on themselves. Not sure if that is true, nut that is what I have been told. I would hate to be on meds that zoned me out like that.

Click here

Comment

never seen it with anyone i knew who sought treatment but ya never know brad.

Comment

Thank you to all that responded, I am hoping he works through it and I will continue to try to be there for him in any way that I can.

Comment

get him to a group of fellas that were there and have a chat-- the only way to voice what you think is to others that were there-- OIF 1 2 3

Comment

Working...
                              X