X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to be a repo man? Prepare to be despised

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/orl-a...,5188641.story

Want to be a repo man? Prepare to be despised

Bad economy making you blue? Worried about job prospects?

You could try becoming a repo man — or woman. But it's not for everyone.

Ask Karon Sharp, in the business 13years. The owner of Auburndale-based S&B Recovery Services, Sharp has been hit in the head and shot at while doing her job.

"You're really a licensed car thief is what you are — a legal, licensed car thief," Sharp said.

The best way to steer clear of trouble, repo professionals say, is to avoid confrontation. Repo men and women have to be part private detective to track down vehicles and show up when owners won't be around to interfere.

"Ideally, you don't want to meet the debtor," said the owner of Broward Dade Investigation and Recovery, who didn't want his name used because he fears for the safety of his four children. "You don't want the emotional situation. You don't want to put yourself in a dangerous situation."

Sharp was reluctant to discuss fees, but she said most repo people make an average living. There are expenses for trucks, employees and gas, for starters.

To give you an idea of the money involved, Broward Dade Investigation and Recovery charges $425 to involuntarily repossess a car, light truck or motorcycle, according to its Web site, repo-man.net. Motor homes and tractor-trailers run $800 apiece. Then there are fees for storing vehicles and tracking them down.

Experts say those considering a career switch shouldn't rely on TV portrayals of repo men. Here are some qualities you need:

•Persistence

•Patience

•A clean criminal record

•A tolerance for danger

•Willingness to work long hours, including weekends and nights

•A state license

•Initially, an apprenticeship with a licensed repo agency

A craving for a life on the edge helps, too.

"I love it," Sharp said. "I'm an adrenaline junkie. That's why I do it. The voluntaries are no fun. I like when they chase you."
    "America's Best Repo Agent"

I hate it when so called professionals describe this business as "legalized car theft". Who are these idiots? What my company does is called repossession and does not even resemble car theft, legal or otherwise. I'm embarrassed when these people get portrayed as professionals or experts in this industry. If any one refers to what he/she does as "legal car theft" do yourself a favor and stop it now. The only people impressed by that are criminals and wanna be's.

Comment

Originally posted by ALSCO Phoenix View Post
      Who are these idiots?
      Karon Sharp?

Why do they do it? It sounds cool. Sensational things sell.

Comment

Originally posted by ALSCO Phoenix View Post
        I hate it when so called professionals describe this business as "legalized car theft". Who are these idiots? What my company does is called repossession and does not even resemble car theft, legal or otherwise. I'm embarrassed when these people get portrayed as professionals or experts in this industry. If any one refers to what he/she does as "legal car theft" do yourself a favor and stop it now. The only people impressed by that are criminals and wanna be's.

I was an "Asset Recovery Agent", not a thief !

Comment

sometimes it does take a "criminal way of thinking" when debtors hide thier vehicles. if u cant think like them how can u know where to look for thier vehicles.

Comment

Thinking like a "criminal" wont take you to the car, the continuous door knocks, and POE visits usually stress people out. When your debtor looks out the window and sees your truck across the street while you speak to their neighbor, what do you think is going through their mind? sooner or later the car usually shows up and you have a pleasant voicemail telling you its ready for pick up. There are the few who wont surrender it under any circumstance.... but they just talked to the bank and are making payments next Tuesday.... Right?

Comment

and theres the ones that think criminally and trade vehicles with thier buddies who u have no idea who they are. when you go to the poorer neighborhoods u have this happen, especially where im from. so u have to think like they do in order to find out possibly they might have put thier vehicles. thats all i was saying about it. sometimes u have to think like the person ur chasing.

Comment

I understand what you're saying. Usually the more friends, neighbors and co-workers you talk to seem to have information on who switched vehicles with who. When I work accounts like that I've found that references are a good source of knowledge, all you need is that one friend who could use an extra $100.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul619;1492 When your debtor looks out the window and sees your truck across the street while you speak to their neighbor, [B
                  what do you think is going through their mind[/B]?
                  I am suing because you shared my financial problems with a third party?
                  "America's Best Repo Agent"

Comment

^ BS Abra.

You can talk to neighbors without saying the debtor is up for repo. You can ask who lives in the given address, what they drive and when they are usually home. You can ask where the debtor works, their spouse works and who drives the vehicle you are looking for. Have they seen the car is another question.

If they ask if you are trying to repo a vehicle you can say you cant comment on that. He sees your wrecker, he knows, but you don't have to verbally say it.

Comment

We have all been asked if we are looking to repo someones car. The tow truck is a dead give away and they always ask. I jsut smile!!

Comment

Working...
                      X